A bill signed by Governor Malloy on May 14 made it official. On May 20th, Connecticut consumers were able to buy alcohol on Sundays from 10:00AM to 5:00PM. This new legislation ended years of an enforced ban on liquor sales and leaves Indiana as the only state banning Sunday sales.
According the NBC Connecticut the bill will also allow liquor stores to sell fruit and well as cheese, crackers and olives. The minimum pricing rules – setting limits on discounts – remains in effect in this legislation.
What does this new legislation mean for roadway safety?
In recent studies, alcohol was present in 41% of all fatal car accidents (NHTSA report). As a result, making alcohol more readily available on Sundays probably makes Connecticut roads somewhat less safe on the weekends.
Here’s the truth of the matter… alcohol consumption, cell phone use, drowsy driving, aggressive driving, and drugged driving are all preventable causes of traffic accidents, injuries and deaths.
Beyond driving responsibly – drive defensively.
- Watch oncoming cars for signs that the drivers are not paying attention.
- If a driver appears to be looking down as he or she approaches – be prepared to alter your course in an instant.
- If you see any signs of side to side movement with an oncoming car or truck use extreme care. Stay as far from that vehicle as possible.
- If you feel certain you have passed an intoxicated driver – get the license plate number of the offending vehicle and note your location, then call 911.
If you or a loved one are ever in aand need legal help – it’s important to choose carefully. Ask each law firm you interview the hard questions.
Important questions to ask your Personal Injury Lawyer:
- Are your personal injury lawyers Board Certified trial lawyers?
- How many personal injury cases have you won?
- What are your other resources and experts to help bring in the best results in injury cases?
- Have you received recognition of accomplishment from your peers?
Our experienced car accident lawyers at RisCassi and Davis have received local and national recognition for our handling of car accident cases including:
- Top listings in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms”… click here for more on our local and national recognition
The Connecticut car accident lawyers at RisCassi and Davis have been helping injury victims for over 55 years.
If you would like a free consultation about your case, please contact us today. There is no obligation of any kind. We have the resources to do the job correctly and are ready to help you.