We have often written about car safety and keys to avoiding accidents. Did you know that according to the latest government figures, pedestrian deaths in America rose by 4.2% last year and injuries shot up 19%?
What is causing this alarming rise in injury and death?
Reasons for Rise in Pedestrian Injury and Death:
- For decades local governments have neglected pedestrian safety in the design and use of American streets. From 2000 to 2009, 47,700 pedestrians were killed in the United States. Despite the death toll – there has been little or no discussion of reducing the causes of pedestrian injuries and deaths at any time. Nationwide – pedestrians account for twelve percent of all traffic deaths. The young and the elderly are disproportionately represented in these figures.
- Believe it or not – but cell phone use is not only creating dangerously distracted drivers but also dangerously distracted walkers. Increasing numbers of pedestrians are being injured because of falls and collisions tied to their use of cell phones to text while walking. Recently, a pedestrian walking at a train station fell off the platform to the tracks because he was texting and not paying attention to what he was doing.
So what can be done?
Ways to Avoid Pedestrian Injury and Death:
- Let’s make sure all federally funded roads take into consideration the needs of pedestrians, cyclists as well as people with disabilities.
- Budgets are tight everywhere – but we need to make a commitment to creating networks of paths, trails and sidewalks that allow pedestrians safe places to walk, run and ride. Connecticut has a series of Rails to Trails projects that are a great step in the right direction.
- Congress needs to insist that states ensure road funds are spent wisely and with pedestrian safety in mind.
If you or a loved one are ever injured in a pedestrian accident or an accident of any kind – always seek expert legal advice to protect yourself and your loved ones. And choose a Hartford accident lawyer carefully.
RisCassi & Davis has handled thousands of accident cases over our more than 55 years serving the people of Connecticut. Our accident lawyers have received local and national recognition for our handling of accident cases including:
- Listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms”
- Listing in New England Super Lawyers published by Connecticut Magazine. Less than 5% of attorneys in the New England states receive this honor
- Lifetime Achievement awards from the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Board Certification by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
If you would like a free consultation with one of our accident lawyers, contact us today. There is no obligation of any kind.