We have all heard the infomercials – “don’t drink and drive and make sure you have a designated (sober) driver if you’re going to be drinking while at a party or a restaurant”. Drinking and driving kills. We all know it. It’s a fact. Not a year goes by without reading about someone in the area who was badly injured or killed by a drunk driver.
Well there is a new study out by the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. It shows that over 30% of designated drivers surveyed drink even though they are “designated” not to drink and breath tests showed 20% blew higher than a .05% on a breathalyzer test – enough to impair driving skills.
While the population studied for this report was generally homogenous, over 1,000 people were interviewed for the study with researchers stopping people leaving bars near a college in the southeastern part of the U.S. “It is noteworthy that nearly 40% of DDs did not refrain from alcohol use,” the researchers wrote. “Of the 165 self-identified DDs, only 65% had a .00 g/210 L BrAC reading.”
So what can you do to insure your safety if you are going to need a designated driver? Here are a number of steps to consider:
1. Choose the designated driver before drinking begins.
2. Be aware that a designated driver who is a friend may face behaviors in the car that he or she cannot control making the ride more dangerous.
3. Choose the designated driver fairly – distributing the burden to different people at different times.
4. Make sure you choose an experienced, seasoned driver.
5. Ask your designated driver about his or her driving record – and make sure they have a valid drivers license!
If you are ever the victim of a car accident with a drunk driver, call a qualified Connecticut car accident lawyer. A knowledgeable Connecticut car accident lawyer can help to ensure that your rights are protected.
RisCassi & Davis has handled hundreds of car accident cases over our more than 55 years serving the people of Connecticut.
What’s more, our attorneys have received local and national recognition for our handling of these cases including:
- Top listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms”
- Top listing by Martindale-Hubbell as a “New England Top Rated AV Preeminent® Law Firm.
- Admission of five of our personal injury lawyers as members in the very prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. The American College is a professional society of Fellows who become members only by invitation, with admission limited to experienced, outstanding trial lawyers who are unquestionably and eminently qualified as actively engaged trial lawyers. Only 1% of all trial lawyers in any state are offered admission as members to the College.
- Listing in New England Super Lawyers published by Connecticut Magazine. Less than 5% of attorneys in the New England states receive this honor
- Lifetime Achievement awards from the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Board Certification by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
We have a great team dedicated to car accident cases. Our offices are in Hartford but we are available to meet with you in your home or office if that is easier for you. Please contact us if we can help you. The consultation is free and there is no obligation of any kind.