Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Cases
Experienced, Nationally Recognized Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Lawyers
For over 60 years, the Connecticut uninsured and underinsured motorist attorneys at RisCassi & Davis have represented many people injured in accidents in Connecticut with drivers who are either uninsured or underinsured. We are ready, right now, to help you.
What You’ll Get When You Work With RisCassi & Davis:
- A legal team that is nationally recognized for our expertise in uninsured and underinsured motorist cases
- A lead attorney who will be your attorney – someone who’ll work closely with you at all times and fight hard to help you recover for your losses
- Tough, effective representation
- Unsurpassed attention to detail
- Guaranteed responsiveness
Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Cases – What You Need To Know:
Many of the motor vehicle cases we handle, in addition to presenting potentially complicated legal, medical and factual issues, often present fairly complex issues of insurance coverage. What’s more, insurance companies and their attorneys work hard to limit what they are expected to pay out when an accident occurs.
In some cases, the insurance coverage of a liable (at-fault) driver is inadequate to compensate our clients for the harms and losses caused by that negligent driver, sometimes making it necessary to make a claim against the uninsured and underinsured coverage of our client’s own automobile insurance policy.
What is Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Coverage?
- All automobile liability insurance policies issued in Connecticut are required to provide various types of coverage, including property damage and personal injury liability coverage, as well as uninsured and underinsured coverage.
- This insurance protects insured consumers and all resident family members of the same household against the risk of being injured in a motor vehicle collision with an at-fault driver who either has no insurance coverage or inadequate coverage on his or her motor vehicle.
- This insurance can also protect insured consumers from the risk of suffering losses caused by a hit and run driver, a driver who negligently forces them off the road or into another vehicle and leaves the scene of the accident, or from injuries suffered from equipment or cargo ejected from another vehicle.
What You Can Expect From An Accident With An Uninsured or Underinsured Driver:
In accidents like these, we turn to your own insurance policy to determine if there is coverage which can be accessed to provide compensation for your losses.
One of our partners, Michael Jainchill, is a leading legal expert on cases like these and will be part of your legal team. He is also the co-author of Connecticut Law of Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage, published by The Atlantic Law Book Company, now in its Fourth Edition. The Connecticut Supreme Court has referred to this book as the leading book in the field of uninsured and underinsured motorist law.
Examples of How Uninsured and Underinsured Coverage Works:
Uninsured motorist claims may arise out of unusual circumstances. For example, we have successfully pursued claims in situations where a tire and rim, improperly secured in the bed of a pickup truck flew off and hit a car operated by one of our clients causing significant injuries. In another instance, a tire and rim flew off the axle of a tractor trailer, striking the motor vehicle of one of our clients, again causing serious injuries. In these cases, since the responsible drivers could not be identified, we were able to secure coverage for our clients from their own coverage.
If you are riding a bicycle or motorcycle, or walking across the street and are injured due to the negligence of an uninsured driver, or if you are struck by a vehicle which flees the scene of the accident, we can help you make a claim to your policy’s uninsured motorist protection.
Cases Involving Underinsured Drivers:
If you are injured by a driver who has inadequate liability insurance coverage to pay for your medical bills, lost wages, and injuries, there may be the potential for an underinsured motorist claim, depending upon the amount or type of coverage you have purchased. Given that there are various types of underinsured motorist coverage, for example, Underinsured Motorist Conversion Coverage, it is often useful to have your insurance coverage documents reviewed by an attorney familiar with this complex area of the law.
Accident cases can be very complex. Protect yourself and your family. Call us at 800.344.5297 or fill out the free consultation form in the top left hand corner of this page to discuss your legal options.
We can even travel to you if that would be helpful. Our goal is to understand your injury and all the circumstances around it and recommend next steps to help you.
Remember, there are never legal fees of any kind unless we are successful on your behalf.