Kathryn A. Calibey
Kathryn A. Calibey
RisCassi & Davis
131 Oak Street
Hartford, CT 06106
Email: Cindy Blackham (Attorney Calibey’s Assistant)
(p) 860-522-1196 (f) 860-246-5847
Since 1982, Kathryn Calibey has developed a focus in appellate advocacy. She has been involved in many cases before the state Appellate and Supreme Courts. Her strong analytical and writing skills have contributed to her numerous appellate successes since her precedent-setting first case before the Connecticut Supreme Court in 1986, O’Connor v. O’Connor. Her legal scholarship has been influential in a wide range of appellate issues ranging from interpretation of contracts and statutes to evidentiary issues involving standards of proof applied to a variety of personal injury situations.
Kathy is also involved with many of the firm’s complex cases where she participates not only in addressing intricate legal motions and issues but in trial preparation.
She is admitted to practice before the Connecticut Bar, the Federal District Court for the District of Connecticut, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
- Western New England University School of Law, cum laude
- University of Connecticut B.A.
➤ Professional Achievements:
- AV Preeminent, Peer/Judicial Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Martindale-Hubbell Top Rated Lawyer-Appellate Award, 2015
- Listed, Women Leadings in the Law, ALM/Martindale-Hubbell, Fortune Magazine, 2014
- Named by Best Lawyers in America, 2012-2018 for listing in the fields of Appellate Law and Personal Injury Litigation
- Best Lawyers 2012 “Lawyer of the Year, Personal Injury Litigation-Hartford”
- Selected for inclusion in New England Super Lawyer 2011-2018 Listings and Connecticut Super Lawyer 2008-2009, 2011-2018 Listings
- Named a Top 25 2013 Connecticut Women Super Lawyer
- Recipient, Hartford County Bar Association’s 2010 President’s Award for Excellence
- 2010 Connecticut Law Tribune Recognition, Women in the Law- High Achiever
➤ Professional Activities:
- Member of the Hartford County, Connecticut and American Bar Associations
- Member, American Bar Association’s Judicial Division’s Conference of Appellate Lawyers
- Board Member and Program Co-Chair of the Connecticut Supreme Court Historical Society
- Member, Connecticut Bar Association’s Civic Education Task Force
- Member, Connecticut Bar Foundation’s Oral History of Women in Attorneys in Connecticut Committee
- Appointed by Chief Justice of Connecticut Supreme Court to the Judicial Advisory Committee on Appellate Rules, 2013- present
- Past co-chair and current Executive Committee member of the Connecticut Bar Association Appellate Advocacy Section
- Life sustaining fellow of Connecticut Bar Foundation’s James W. Cooper Fellows
- Past co-chair the Connecticut Trial Lawyers’ Amicus Curiae Committee
- Former adjunct faculty member of the University of Connecticut School of Law.
- Faculty member of the Connecticut Bar Association Appellate Advocacy Institute
- Past-President of the Hartford County Bar Association
- Co-Founding Past-President of the Hartford County Bar Foundation
- Served on Standing Committee on Recommendations for Admission to the Bar, 2003-2006
- Served as a Special Master for Connecticut Superior Court, Hartford JD, 1992-2003
- Appointed to Judicial Civil Jury Instruction Committee, 1993-2002
- Board of Editors for the Connecticut Bar Journal and Senior Editor for Civil Litigation from 1997-2010