Did you know that according to University of Utah researchers – using acell phone while driving decreases reaction time by the same amount as having a blood alcohol concentration of .08 percent?
Did you know that texting while driving takes the driver’s eyes off the road long enough, on average, for the vehicle to go the distance of a football field at 55 miles an hour?
Did you know that texting while driving causes a car accident in this country every five minutes?
Finally – did you know that while most Americans want texting while driving outlawed – two thirds of adults admit to the practice (Harris Interactive).
So what can be done? Are much harsher legal penalties the answer to reducing car accidents caused by texting and driving? Some people say yes – that penalties for texting and driving should mirror those for drunk driving. Certainly an all out effort should be made to educate drivers everywhere of the grave danger this activity poses.
Well – while the legislative bodies consider legal options – there are also technology options families and businesses can consider (most come with a monthly fee).
- AT&T DriveMode is an app that automatically sends a customizable reply to all incoming texts. This one has to be activated manually by the driver before each trip. It also shuts down all incoming and outgoing calls.
- DriveSafe.ly is an app that actually receives incoming text messages and emails and reads them out loud. The app does not shut down communications.
- Textecution is an app that cuts off texting capabilities if the vehicle is traveling at speeds greater than 10 MPH.
- tXt Blocker is an app that you can program to block texting at certain times of the day and in certain locations.
Texting and driving is a very serious problem in Connecticut The car accidents it causes can be prevented. Start by being a good example for your children. Also talk to them about how dangerous the practice is. If you can – get them to take a pledge that they will never text and drive! Also – talk to your employees. Accidents caused by texting and driving could have very serious legal consequences for you as well.
If you or a loved one is ever injured in an car accident in Connecticut– call us. We will help you protect your rights. The car accident lawyers at RisCassi & Davis have been helping victims of car accidents for over 55 years. What’s more, our Connecticut car accident lawyers have received local and national recognition for our handling of car accident cases including:
- Top listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms”
- Admission of five of our personal injury lawyers as members in the very prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. The American College is a professional society of Fellows who become members only by invitation, with admission limited to experienced, outstanding trial lawyers who are unquestionably and eminently qualified as actively engaged trial lawyers. Only 1% of all trial lawyers in any state are offered admission as members to the College.
- Listing in New England Super Lawyers published by Connecticut Magazine. Less than 5% of attorneys in the New England states receive this honor
- Lifetime Achievement awards from the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Board Certification by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
The Connecticut car accident lawyers at RisCassi & Davis are committed to helping Connecticut drivers.
If you would like a free consultation about your car accident, please contact us today. There is no obligation of any kind. We are ready to help.