In a just released consumer survey conducted by AT&T, nearly half of all commuters admit to texting while driving even though 98 percent know it’s dangerous.
Did you know that reading or writing a text while driving is a leading cause of car accidents in Connecticut and that doing either of those things can impair reaction times more profoundly than alcohol?
According to test conducted by the magazine Car and Driver, baseline reaction times at 35 mph worsened while reading or typing a text. At 70 mph, they were also worse.
Even scarier – these road tests were conducted on straight roads without traffic or road signs or pedestrians. Test subjects considered themselves excellent drivers and were surprised by just how much their reaction times were impaired in these tests.
And there are other factors to worry about as well. Many teenagers and adults admit to texting with two hands while driving (requiring a knee to steer), a habit that produces lane drift and loss of control – in addition to reduced reaction times.
It’s a fact. Cell phone use causes car accidents – too often fatal ones. Please remember to talk to your kids about the dangers, ask them to pledge not to use their cell phones while driving – and lead by example. Also try to remember this vital fact: a text or a cell phone call can wait until you are safely stopped. Wait – and save a life.
If you or a loved one is ever injured in a car accident in Connecticut – call us. We will help protect your rights. The car accident lawyers at RisCassi and Davis have been helping victims of car accidents for over 55 years and we have had a large number of cases where we have been able to help our clients who were injured by drivers distracted by their cell phones. What’s more, our Connecticut car accident lawyers have received local and national recognition for our handling of car accident cases including:
- Top listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms”
- Top listing by Martindale-Hubbell as a “New England Top Rated AV Preeminent® Law Firm.
- Admission of five of our personal injury lawyers as members in the very prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. The American College is a professional society of Fellows who become members only by invitation, with admission limited to experienced, outstanding trial lawyers who are unquestionably and eminently qualified as actively engaged trial lawyers. Only 1% of all trial lawyers in any state are offered admission as members to the College.
- Listing in New England Super Lawyers published by Connecticut Magazine. Less than 5% of attorneys in the New England states receive this honor
- Lifetime Achievement awards from the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Board Certification by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
The Connecticut car accident lawyers at RisCassi & Davis are committed to helping Connecticut drivers.
If you would like a free consultation about your car accident, please contact us today. There is no obligation of any kind. We are ready to help.