The State of New York has a new effort underway to discourage cell phone use while driving. The State has erected some 300 signs on major state highways notifying motorists of their proximity to the nearest rest stop where cell phones can be safely used. This texting zone campaign began as part of a major New York crack down on illegal cell phone use on the state’s roads. Since the crackdown began, there has been a 365% increase in the number of tickets issued for illegal and unsafe cell phone use there.
Well, it turns out that Connecticut lawmakers are considering a similar “texting zone” campaign for the state. Similar to New York, signs would be erected on major state highways encouraging motorists to use cell phones in rest areas only. As it is, lawmakers and Governor Malloy have already increased penalties and fines for cell phone use while driving to include:
- A $150 fine for the first offense;
- A $300 fine for the second offense;
- A $500 fine for each subsequent offense.
- The imposition of at least one point on the record of all drivers guilty of illegal cell phone use.
- Cell phone use is now also banned even when drivers are operating a vehicle at a temporary standstill, such as at an intersection stop light.
Michael Riley, president of the Motor Transportation Association of Connecticut, has also shown interest in supporting the idea.
The Federal Government is also getting involved, hoping to get car makers to make it impossible for you to text, check Facebook and watch a video while you’re driving.
It is so important to remember this FACT… reading or writing a text while driving is a leading cause of car accidents in Connecticut and doing either of those things can impair reaction times more profoundly than alcohol.
If you, or a loved one, are ever in a car accident in Connecticut, it is important to gather all the information you can and then call a qualified Connecticut car accident lawyer. A knowledgeable car accident lawyer can help to ensure that your rights are protected.
RisCassi & Davis has handled thousands of car accident cases in Connecticut over our more than 55 years serving the people of this state. Our Connecticut car accident lawyers have received significant local and national recognition for our handling of injury cases including:
- Four RisCassi and Davis attorneys in the last five years have been honored by being named Best Lawyers – Hartford Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs “Lawyer of the Year”
- Top listing by Martindale-Hubbell as a “New England Top Rated AV Preeminent® Law Firm, and much more… (for more on our honors and awards, click here).
If you would like a free consultation with one of our personal injury lawyers, please contact us today. There is no obligation of any kind.