Connecticut Bicycle Accident Attorneys
The Quality Legal Counsel You Need, When You Need It Most
Despite the many benefits of cycling, the is one big disadvantage – the lack of protection in the event of an accident. Cyclists who are hit by another vehicle or crash because of a defective roadway deserve to be fully compensated for the injuries and other losses they have sustained.
The Connecticut bicycle accident lawyers at RisCassi & Davis, P.C. have been helping the injured for over 65 years. Among our team are seven Board-Certified trial attorneys who have earned the right to be considered legal experts in their field. When you need legal representation you can depend on, turn to RisCassi & Davis, P.C..
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
The most common cause of bicycle accidents involves the drivers of cars, trucks, and buses failing to see, yield or “share the road” with bicyclists. These situations often occur when drivers are distracted by activities like texting or talking on cell phones, driving while intoxicated, or simply not paying attention to the bicyclists that may be right in front of them.
The Rights of Cyclists
Did you know that in Connecticut, car and truck drivers must stay a safe distance from all cyclists they meet on the road? Connecticut law states: “safe distance means not less than three feet when the driver of a vehicle overtakes and passes a person riding a bicycle.” Failure to do so can lead to fines. Connecticut is currently one of 22 states with this requirement.
Many of the attorneys at RisCassi & Davis, P.C. enjoy the sport of cycling. For almost a decade we have supported major Connecticut rides like the Jim Calhoun Cancer Challenge Ride – helping raise millions of dollars for the fight against cancer. We know cycling, and we understand the dangers.
How to Stay Safe While Cycling
Each year some 500,000 people are treated in Emergency Rooms in the U.S. for bike-related injuries. There are certain things you can do to keep yourself safe while riding:
- Always wear a helmet! Head injuries to cyclists are a leading cause of death.
- Make sure you are highly visible. Avoid clothing that blends with the environment. Bright or bright reflective clothing is best.
- If you must ride at dusk or dawn, consider using one or more small clip-on strobe light/safety light. They help make you and the bike more visible.
- Carefully choose when you ride. Whenever possible – avoid those times when car traffic is at high levels.
- If possible – avoid population-dense areas when riding. Fewer people means fewer cars.
- Use great care on roads that need repair or have lots of sand on the shoulders.
- Always check your bike before riding. Pay particular attention to your tires and your brakes. Also, make sure your axles are properly locked to the frame of the bike.
- Watch for blind turns. Cars traveling quickly may have trouble seeing you.
- And be on the lookout for drivers who are distracted – by other passengers, cell phones or other things.
If you or a loved one is ever injured in a bike accident in Connecticut – always seek expert legal advice to protect yourself and your loved ones. And choose a Connecticut bicycle accident lawyer carefully.
If you’ve been injured in a cycling accident, please call us at (860) 245-2412 to determine if we can help you with your case. Our Connecticut bicycle accident attorneys are committed to providing you with the care you need.
$12.6 Million Wrongful Death
Injury and death damages as a result of an explosion at the Kleen Energy plant.
$11 Million Truck Accident
Collision with commercial delivery truck results in brain injury.
$9 Million Paralyzed Worker
$9,000,000 settlement for a paralyzed construction worker.
$8.1 Million Medical Malpractice
Improperly performed biopsy lead to wrongful death.
$7.5 Million Automobile Accident
Nursing student who was rendered a paraplegic as the result of a motor vehicle accident.