Injury Attorneys Serving Connecticut
Drunk Driving Accidents

Connecticut Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys

Filing a Civil Lawsuit Against a Drunk Driver

There is never an excuse for driving while under the influence of alcohol. Unfortunately, many people make the choice to get behind the wheel of a car after consuming alcohol, leading to countless accidents, injuries, and deaths every year. While drunk drivers face criminal penalties, they can also be held legally accountable for their actions through civil lawsuits.

At RisCassi & Davis, P.C., we represent victims of drunk driving accidents and fight for justice on their behalf. Since 1955, our firm has been dedicated to securing maximum compensation for individuals who have suffered the consequences of someone else’s negligence. Our drunk driving accident attorneys in Connecticut are responsible for securing some of the largest injury settlements and verdicts in the state—we have what it takes to aggressively advocate for you and your recovery.

Contact us online or call (860) 245-2412 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with our Connecticut drunk driving accident lawyers today.

Can You Sue If You Get Hit By a Drunk Driver?

All motorists have a shared responsibility of following all traffic laws, obeying the rules of the road, and taking reasonable measures to keep others safe. Driving while intoxicated is a clear violation of that duty. Not only is drunk driving against the law, but it is also incredibly dangerous and can lead to catastrophic injuries. Often, these incidents are fatal.

When someone sustains a severe injury in a drunk driving accident, who is liable for the resulting damages? Can you sue the drunk driver and have them pay for your medical bills and other losses? Can you hold them accountable for your pain and suffering?

The short answer is yes, you can file a lawsuit against a drunk driver and seek compensation for your damages. Also, in some cases, the drunk driver might not be the only liable party. If he or she was over-served by a restaurant or bar, you could potentially file a claim against that establishment.

Connecticut’s Dram Shop & Social Host Laws

If the driver who injured you in your accident was drunk, and we can identify where he or she was drinking, we may be able to bring a claim against those who served the alcohol.

In this instance, your claim may fall into two general categories:

  • Dram Shop Laws: Bringing a lawsuit against a bar or restaurant for over-serving someone is called a “dram shop” claim. In these cases, the law requires that written notice be provided to the bar or restaurant prior to filing a claim, so it is very important that we have as much lead time as possible to investigate and preserve your rights.
  • Social Host Laws: Additionally, Connecticut law now recognizes claims against a social host who negligently serves or provides alcohol to a guest. Serving or providing alcohol to a minor also gives rise to negligence claims against the provider.

Damages in Drunk Driving Accident Cases

When you bring a drunk driving accident claim, you are seeking financial compensation for your damages, not criminal penalties against the drunk driver or another party who served alcohol to the driver. Whether or not criminal proceedings occur and regardless of the outcome of a criminal case, you are entitled to file a separate civil lawsuit.

Depending on the specifics of your case, you could be entitled to recover compensation for the following damages:

  • Emergency medical care
  • Ambulance fees
  • All medical treatment related to the accident
  • Hospital/emergency room fees
  • Ongoing and future medical treatment
  • Rehabilitative therapy
  • Medications and medical equipment/devices
  • Lost income/wages
  • Lost future earnings
  • Loss of earning capacity (disability)
  • In-home care costs
  • Counseling services
  • Pain and suffering
  • Emotional trauma and distress
  • Anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, etc.
  • Reduced quality of life
  • Funeral/burial expenses (in wrongful death cases)

At RisCassi & Davis, P.C., we are ready to represent you and fight to protect your best interests.

Request a Free Consultation Today

If you believe that you may have a claim against a drunk driver, a bar, or someone else who provided liquor to a drunk driver, you should consult a Connecticut drunk driving accident attorney at our firm right away, as state law provides short deadlines for notice and suit regarding some claims against liquor sellers and other parties. In nearly all cases, you only have two years from the date of the accident to file your personal injury claim.

Ultimately, it’s our hope that by aggressively pursuing all legally available claims, we will be able to achieve the best results for you and help bring about more responsible practices by individuals, bars and restaurants, leading to safer roadways.

Reach out to RisCassi & Davis, P.C. today for a free, no-obligation consultation. Call (860) 245-2412 or submit an online contact form to get started. Our drunk driving accident lawyers in Connecticut are here to help.

    I Came to the Right Firm to Handle My Matter

    “I want to thank you for how you handled my case and for your generosity in bringing it to conclusion; particularly your patience and calm.”

    - Ilona
    Thank You and Your Exemplary Staff

    “Thank you and your exemplary staff for all of the good work you did on my behalf to achieve a settlement of my case.”

    - Susan
    Diligence, Experience & Reputation

    “I'm able to overcome minor permanent damage to my body. I have been able to use the settlement money to help me transition into a physically lighter work.”

    - Joe
    Recommend You Without Reservation Over & Over

    “It does make a difference when you feel like someone actually cares.”

    - Erica
    Lovely Support Appreciated

    “I appreciate the actions you've taken on my behalf and the lovely support you provide.”

    - Beth

Contact Us

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.