Actually – there are days more dangerous. Here they are in order:
#2: Labor Day
#3: Memorial Day
#4: Fourth of July
Ok. Most of our holidays are dangerous times to drive. With Memorial Day upon us – what can you do to avoid car accidents and keep your family safe?
Here are eight tips to consider:
- Don’t drink and drive (ever). As the first summer holiday weekend – alcohol tends to come into play on Memorial Day in ways it doesn’t on other weekends. Nothing is tied more closely to fatal car accidents than drunk driving – or driving while you’re impaired. Protect yourself and your family. Don’t drink and drive and if you drink – rely on a sober driver to get you home.
- Don’t drive distracted. No cell phones for calls or texting. Ever. This behavior ranks up with alcohol for causing serious car accidents.
- Give yourself lots of time to get to your destination. There are more cars on the roads during holiday weekends than at other times – and the more cars – the more accidents.
- Drive defensively. Remember the point above – lots of cars means lots of chances for an accident. Drivers make mistakes.
- Don’t drive if you are tired. Drowsy drivers are almost as bad as drunk drivers.
- Check your tire pressures and your wiper blades before you hit the road.
- If you get out of your car to run an errand – even for a short time – do not leave children or pets unattended in a closed car. Temperatures in the vehicle can rise to dangerous levels very quickly.
- Remember – traffic on the afternoon of Memorial Day Monday will be uniquely heavy. Use caution, drive defensively, stay within speed limits – and avoid distractions to get you and your family home safely.
If you’re ever injured in a car accident, know that the Connecticut car accident lawyers at RisCassi & Davis have been assisting drivers injured in accidents for 60 years. And we have received both state and national recognition for our work in this area. If you are ever in a car accident of any kind and would like a free consultation with one of our Connecticut car accident lawyers, please contact us. There is no obligation.