Medical malpractice at hospitals and medical centers happens every day. Medical staffs make mistakes. Some instances of medical malpractice are worse than others and sometimes they are deadly. Patients have been known to get the wrong medications or even undergo surgery intended for someone else.
When medical errors like these and others are reported, government officials are required to inspect the hospital in question and file a detailed report.
This vital information on hospital quality and safety has finally been made available to the public online.
A website dedicated to this information, www.hospitalinspections.org, provides detailed reports of hospital violations dating back to January 2011, searchable by location, and the name of the hospital.
Until now, these reports were released only through a Freedom of Information Act request – making access to this information very difficult to obtain.
While this development is progress, some information is still unavailable. For instance, once government authorities have determined there is a specific problem that needs correcting, hospitals are required to file a corrective action plan. These plans are still kept confidential.
Also still not disclosed are the results of “complaint-based and routine inspections” by The Joint Commission, the nation’s largest private hospital accreditation organization. The Health Care Journalism Association is now attempting to have these reports made available to the public.
If you are ever the victim of medical malpractice call a qualified Connecticut medical malpractice lawyer. A knowledgeable personal injury lawyer can help to ensure that your rights are protected.
RisCassi & Davis has handled hundreds of medical malpractice cases over our more than 65 years serving the people of Connecticut.
What’s more, our Connecticut medical malpractice lawyers have received local and national recognition for our handling of these cases including:
- Top listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms”
- Top listing by Martindale-Hubbell as a “New England Top Rated AV Preeminent® Law Firm.
- Admission of five of our personal injury lawyers as members in the very prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. The American College is a professional society of Fellows who become members only by invitation, with admission limited to experienced, outstanding trial lawyers who are unquestionably and eminently qualified as actively engaged trial lawyers. Only 1% of all trial lawyers in any state are offered admission as members to the College.
- Listing in New England Super Lawyers published by Connecticut Magazine. Less than 5% of attorneys in the New England states receive this honor
- Lifetime Achievement awards from the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Board Certification by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
We have a great team dedicated to medical malpractice cases. Our offices are in Hartford but we are available to meet with you in your home or office if that is easier for you. Please contact us if we can help you.
The consultation is free and there is no obligation of any kind.