Highway work zones are hazardous places to drive – and to work. For drivers, there is often a phalanx of signs, flashing lights, lane changes, barrels, and flag men to navigate.
Sadly – each year many accidents and worker fatalities occur in these work zones.
Nearly all states have laws meant to limit the risk of car or truck accidents in these areas. In fact, almost every state in America has laws that increase the penalties for traffic violations, including speeding, in work zones. In many cases, these laws double the applicable fine that would have applied outside that work zone.
Avoid A Car Accident Near Construction Zones:
- When you approach a worksite on the highway – always reduce your speed.
- Look carefully at the scene as you approach it so that you understand how you will pass through the area safely.
- Always look carefully to see how the equipment in the area is moving. Anticipate possible unexpected maneuvers.
- Watch very carefully for workers in the area. Some can be momentarily obscured by equipment or signage.
- NEVER operate a cell phone in these areas – even if your car has come to a stop and never take your eyes off the work area.
- Watch for pavement edge drop-offs.
- Never attempt to pass a work area by sneaking out onto the shoulder of the road.
- Always leave room between your car and the vehicle ahead of you.
- And when you can – check traffic reports for the roads you will be traveling and either give yourself extra time to travel or choose an alternate route.
If you or a loved one are ever in a car accident in Connecticut, it is important to gather all the information you can and then call a qualified Connecticut car accident attorney. A knowledgeable car accident lawyer can help to ensure that your rights are protected.
RisCassi & Davis has handled thousands of car accident cases in Connecticut over our more than 55 years serving the people of this state. Our car accident lawyers have received significant local and national recognition for our handling of injury cases including:
- Top listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms” and much more (for more on our honors and awards, click here).
If you would like a free consultation with one of our Connecticut car accident lawyers, contact us today. There is no obligation of any kind.