Sitting at one stoplight after another this morning gave me the time to watch other drivers. What I saw sent chills through me.
A good six out of ten drivers were either talking on their cell phones or texting. Six out of ten.
So let’s review the rules again. It is illegal to use your cell phone in Connecticut while driving.
All Connecticut drivers are prohibited from using handheld cell phones while driving. The law presumes that you are making a call if you have the cell phone near your ear. Exceptions to the rule exist for emergency calls.
Novice drivers in Connecticut – drivers younger than 18 – are prohibited from all cell phone use (handheld and hands-free).
All Connecticut drivers are prohibited from texting – that is, typing, sending or reading a text message with a hand-held mobile telephone or mobile electronic device. Exceptions to the rule exist for emergency calls and calls made while using a hands-free device.
These rules apply whether you are moving – or stopped at a stop sign or traffic light. There are no exceptions except when making a legitimate emergency call.
Here are some more sobering facts…
- Texting while driving makes a car accident 23 times more likely.
- Five seconds is the minimal amount of time one must take his or her eyes off the road to text. At 55 miles per hour – you travel the length of a football field at that time.
- According to a recent survey – 93% of all teenagers know texting and driving causes car accidents, yet 43% regularly do it anyway.
- 77% of teens say their parents tell them not to text and drive and yet those same parents do it themselves.
- 90% of teens expect a response to text messages within five minutes… adding pressure to break the law and endanger lives.
- Incredibly – almost 20% of all teens admit to surfing the web while driving.
The message is simple – please don’t make cell calls or text/surf the web while you drive. Use Bluetooth or other hands-free options if you must talk on the phone. Put your phone in the back seat so you are not able to reach it while driving. Whatever it is can wait. Your life and the lives of others depend on you making smart choices.
If you’re ever injured in a car accident you suspect was caused by a distracted driver, know that the Hartford car accident lawyers at RisCassi & Davis have been assisting drivers injured in car accidents for 60 years. And we have received both state and national recognition for our work in this area. If you are ever in a car accident of any kind and would like a free consultation with one of our Connecticut car accident lawyers, please contact us. There is no obligation.