The teenage years. Exhilarating and dangerous.
They're also particularly perilous for teen drivers.
Here are some of the facts…
- Teenagers are responsible for approximately 500,000 car crashes in the US annually.
- According to data from AAA, for every mile traveled, 16-17-year-old drivers are four times more likely than drivers 18 and older to be involved in a crash and three times more likely to be involved in a fatal crash than drivers older than 20.
- Two out of every three teenagers killed in crashes are males.
- Teen drivers are responsible for about 50% of car crashes caused by drowsiness.
- Roughly 10% of fatal car accidents with a teen driver involve alcohol consumption.
The data also reveals that the roughly 100 days from Memorial Day to Labor Day are the most treacherous for these young drivers.
Why are these 100 days so dangerous?
Experts point to the fact that parents typically give teens more freedom during the summer months. This fact often translates to far more time behind the wheel.
Four factors commonly result in fatal teen crashes:
- Excessive speed
- Distracted driving
- Failure to use a seat belt
- Alcohol and/or drug use
If you are a parent, there are several things you can do to help keep your teen safe.
- Make sure they are adequately trained to drive. Practice with your teen often under varying conditions and consider having them take driver's education from a reputable driving school.
- Set a good example from the start. Obey traffic laws. Don't drink and drive. Don't text and drive. Use your seat belt and ask them to use theirs.
- Have all cars they may use checked for safety or repair issues.
- Place appropriate restrictions on the time of day and the distances they are permitted to travel.
Parenting a teen is one of the great challenges of life. Parenting a teen with a license to drive is even more so. Try to be patient but firm – and make sure they understand the dangers.
If you or a loved one are ever in a car accident in Connecticut, know that the Connecticut car accident lawyers at RisCassi & Davis have been assisting people like you who've been injured in these accidents for over 65 years. And we have received both state and national recognition for our work in this area. If you are ever injured in an accident of any kind and would like a free consultation with one of our Connecticut injury lawyers, please contact us. There is no obligation.