Can Criminal DUI Charges Help my Personal Injury Case?

Lady justice with a gavel below a statue of her

After a drunk driving accident, there are many questions an injured person will typically ask themselves:

“What will my recovery look like?”

“How quickly can I get back to living my life normally?”

“How will I pay for my medical bills and other bills?”

While law enforcement will handle the details of who is at fault for the crash and what charges that person will face, it is up to you to pursue a personal injury claim. However, the evidence collected by law enforcement can greatly benefit your personal injury case.

Field Sobriety Test Results

Field sobriety tests are physical and mental exercises that police officers use to determine whether a driver is impaired. The three most common field sobriety tests are the horizontal gaze nystagmus test, the walk-and-turn test, and the one-leg stand test.

Law enforcement can take field sobriety tests and use them against an accused drunk driver for criminal and traffic cases. If a driver fails a test, law enforcement may arrest the driver for driving under the influence (DUI). Even if a driver passes a test, law enforcement may still arrest the driver if there is other evidence proving that the driver was impaired.

Insurance companies and juries also view these field sobriety tests as scientific and accurate. Therefore, if you can show that the driver failed the test, it will help your case.

Criminal Conviction

If a driver is convicted of criminal charges related to a DUI accident, your personal injury attorney may be able to use that as part of your civil lawsuit. However, even if a driver is not convicted of a drunk driving offense, you can take the field sobriety test results, and your personal injury may still be able to use that evidence for your benefit.

How the Connecticut Personal Injury Attorneys at RisCassi & Davis, P.C. Can Help

The experienced drunk driving attorneys at RisCassi & Davis, P.C. can help you investigate the accident and build a strong case against the at-fault driver. Don’t try to handle a personal injury claim alone — contact RisCassi & Davis, P.C. so we can start working for you. (860) 245-2412

Related Posts
  • Pursuing Compensation After an Accident: First-Party vs. Third-Party Claims Read More
  • New Concerns Around Electric Vehicles Read More
  • What Not to Say After a Car Accident Read More