Anesthesia ErrorsReal Lawyers. Real Results.
Connecticut Anesthesia Error Attorneys
Trusted Representation in Anesthesia Error Claims
Just like other healthcare providers and medical professionals, anesthesiologists are expected to adhere to a certain standard of care. When they deviate from this and innocent patients are injured or killed, they can be held legally accountable.
At RisCassi & Davis, P.C., we help clients bring anesthesia error claims against negligent anesthesiologists, hospitals, and other liable parties. Since 1955, our attorneys have been successfully representing clients in all types of medical malpractice cases, recovering tens of millions of dollars in the process on behalf of victims. If you believe you or a loved one was the victim of anesthesiologist malpractice, reach out to our firm today to learn how we can help.
Common Anesthesia Errors
Anesthesia is commonly used in a variety of surgical procedures, from dental surgery to heart surgery. A specialized medical professional known as an anesthesiologist uses anesthetic drugs, administered as a gas or via injection, to place the patient in a semiconscious or fully unconscious state prior to the procedure and ensure they remain in that state throughout the duration of surgery.
Anesthesiologists have an immense responsibility to not only ensure the patient is properly sedated and remains sedated throughout the procedure but also to carefully monitor the patient’s vital signs and ensure proper oxygen levels while the patient is semiconscious or unconscious. Unfortunately, anesthesiologists do not always uphold this standard of care.
Examples of relatively common anesthesia errors include:
- Causing injury to a patient during intubation
- Administering an incorrect dosage, leading to anesthesia overdose or a patient “waking up” during a procedure
- Failing to properly monitor a patient’s vital signs (heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen levels, etc.) while the patient is sedated
- Failing to communicate changes in a patient’s vital signs/other concerns to surgeons
- Failing to recognize or prevent adverse reactions between anesthesia and other medications the patient is taking
- Administering anesthesia to a patient who is allergic to the anesthetic medication
- Using defective or faulty equipment when administering anesthesia, monitoring the patient, or caring for the patient in the post-anesthesia care unit (PACU)
Unfortunately, it is usually not until something goes terribly wrong that patients and/or their loved ones realize that an anesthesiologist or another healthcare provider made a mistake. Tragically, many anesthesia errors result in patient fatalities, leaving family members to pick up the pieces and fight to obtain answers.
Consequences of Anesthesia Errors
Even when anesthesia errors are not fatal, patients can sustain severe, debilitating injuries. These injuries often have an immense impact on patients’ lives, as well as the lives of their family members and loved ones.
Some common injuries and complications associated with anesthesia errors include:
- Brain injury and damage, including anoxic and hypoxic brain injuries
- Birth injuries, including cerebral palsy (in cases of maternal anesthesia complications)
- Sensory problems, including blurred vision and ringing in the ears
- Heart arrhythmia (abnormal pulse)
- Spinal cord injury, sometimes leading to paralysis
- Blood pressure complications
- Malignant hyperthermia
At RisCassi & Davis, P.C., we help victims of anesthesia errors, as well as the loved ones of patients that die due to substandard medical care, seek fair compensation for their damages. While we realize that no amount of financial recovery can undo what has happened to you, a successful claim or lawsuit can provide you with the financial resources you need to pay your medical bills, keep up with day-to-day expenses while you are out of work, and effectively manage the pain and suffering you are going through.
How Our Anesthesia Error Lawyers in Connecticut Can Help
Medical malpractice is an extremely complex area of law. At RisCassi & Davis, P.C., our anesthesia error attorneys in Connecticut conduct exhaustive investigations to determine if the anesthesiologist, surgeon, hospital, or some other individual or entity was negligent. With seven attorneys on staff who are Board Certified as Civil Trial Law Advocates by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, we are experts in civil trial law, and we frequently work with an array of medical specialists and other experts to build the strongest possible cases for our client.
You can trust that our team will advocate tirelessly for you. We are aggressive in our approach to litigation, while also offering our clients the compassionate, personalized guidance they deserve. Reach out to us today to learn more.
Wrongful Death $12,600,000
Truck Accident $11,000,000
Paralyzed Worker $9,000,000
Medical Malpractice $8,100,000
Automobile Accident $7,500,000
Wrongful Death $7,500,000
Truck Accident $7,350,000
Wrongful Death $7,290,000
Personal Injury $7,200,000
Personal Injury $6,500,000