Since joining RisCassi & Davis, P.C. in 1985, David Cooney has handled a wide range of personal injury and wrongful death cases, including truck and car accidents, workplace accidents, and claims of medical malpractice. Over the years, he has been able to secure numerous multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts for his clients, in cases ranging from wrongful death claims brought against drunken drivers and negligent trucking companies, to brain injuries resulting from carbon monoxide poisoning or construction site accidents.
Regardless of the type of case, David focuses on the human aspect of the practice, so he can help his clients preserve their dignity as he works to obtain the justice they deserve.
- University of Connecticut School of Law
- Wesleyan University, M.A.
- Rutgers College B.A. Phi Beta Kappa
- Certified Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Named the Best Lawyers’ 2017 & 2020 Hartford Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs “Lawyer of the Year”
- Listed in the field of Personal Injury Litigation, Medical Malpractice Law, and Product Liability Litigation in The Best Lawyers in America.
- Recognized by New England Super Lawyers since 2006 and in 2011 and 2012 was designated as one of Connecticut’s Top 50 attorneys by Super Lawyers
- James W. Cooper Life Fellow of the Hartford County Bar Foundation
- Recipient of the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association’s T. Paul Tremont Award, acknowledging his commitment to the education of law school students
- Member of the Hartford County, Connecticut Bar Associations
- Member of the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, serving on the Board of Governors and Past President
- Co-chair of the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association’s (CTLA) Continuing Legal Education Committee. Also serves on the CTLA Executive and Medical Malpractice committees
- Member, Board of Governors, American Association for Justice
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Former Member, State of Connecticut’s Judicial Civil Commission
- Member, Board of Directors of the Greater Hartford Legal Aid Foundation and the Center for Children’s Advocacy
- Member, Roscoe Pound Foundation
- Former Adjunct faculty member of the University of Connecticut School of Law
- David and his wife Joan live in Bloomfield. They have five adult children and six grandchildren. They are both very active in their community and their church.
- $6,500,000 Settlement - Motor Vehicle Accident - Death of one student, injury of many others on school bus
- $6,000,000 Settlement - Personal Injury - 16-year-old girl suffers a severe traumatic brain injury
- $3,542,500 Settlement - Motor Vehicle Accident - Death of a 16-year old boy in school bus collision
- $3,400,000 Settlement - Medical Malpractice - Hospital ER failed to take a proper history of patient
- $3,000,000 Settlement - Motor Vehicle Accident - Death of 45-year old teacher who was hit by a truck