Winter weather can make driving extremely dangerous and car accidents all too common. Following a blizzard of epic proportions, those of us here in Connecticut knows all too well just how dangerous.
There are so many things each of us can do to reduce the risk of a car accident – despite tough driving conditions. What the driver of the car in this photo is doing is NOT one of them…
So let’s go over the basic checklist:
- It is always more dangerous to drive when the roads are wet, snow-covered or icy. If you don’t have to drive – don’t.
- Many times, the first moments of a storm present extremely dangerous conditions. That first layer of snow and ice often makes road surfaces very slick.
- Before starting on a trip make sure all glass surfaces are clean. Good sight lines improve safety.
- Clear all the lights on the front and back of your car or truck. And turn your headlights on in a storm.
- All other surfaces of your car must also be clear of snow. Flying snow and ice is a real danger to pedestrians and other drivers.
- Remember that as visibility drops for you it is also dropping for pedestrians and other drivers. Reduce your travel speeds.
- As the snow piles up, your ability to see around corners and at stop signs will be greatly hampered. If you cannot see where you are turning or cannot be sure if you are entering a traffic lane safely – choose another route.
- It is against the law to drive and text from a cell phone. In a winter storm – attempting that trick is not only illegal – it could be fatal.
- Always travel at reduced speeds and give yourself extra time to reach your destination.
- If possible – have a first aid kit and a shovel in your vehicle if you are going to be traveling in winter weather.
- If you get stuck in deep snow and cannot get unstuck – you have two choices. Carefully exit your car and seek help or stay with your vehicle till help arrives.
This and future decades may be an era of superstorms. Regardless of that fact, using caution when faced with adverse driving conditions is paramount.
If you or a loved one is ever injured in a car accident in Connecticut– call us. We will help you protect your rights. The car accident lawyers at RisCassi & Davis have been helping victims of car accidents for over 65 years. What’s more, our Connecticut car accident lawyers have received local and national recognition for our handling of car accident cases including:
- Top listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms”
- Admission of five of our personal injury lawyers as members in the very prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. The American College is a professional society of Fellows who become members only by invitation, with admission limited to experienced, outstanding trial lawyers who are unquestionably and eminently qualified as actively engaged trial lawyers. Only 1% of all trial lawyers in any state are offered admission as members to the College.
- Listing in New England Super Lawyers published by Connecticut Magazine. Less than 5% of attorneys in the New England states receive this honor
- Lifetime Achievement awards from the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Board Certification by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
The Connecticut car accident lawyers at RisCassi & Davis are committed to helping Connecticut drivers.
If you would like a free consultation about your car accident, please contact us today.
There is no obligation of any kind. We are ready to help.