Talking to your car?? What?
Yes – consumers are demanding more and more advanced computer technology for their cars – and much of that technology is voice-activated.
According to a just published study from the Applied Cognition Lab at the University of Utah – that technology – while “cool” – is making our roads even more dangerous and car accidents more likely. Eight million cars are now outfitted with this technology and that number is expected to rise to 62 million by 2018.
This same research team had previously found that drivers using hands-free or hand-held cell phones are as impaired and as dangerous as drunken drivers at the legal limit.
The new research on voice-activated technology in cars shows that drivers distracted by this technology in their automobiles tend to enter a tunnel-vision state or develop what is called “inattention blindness”. Inattention blindness produces drivers less aware of what is going on around them and less likely to check their mirrors. A driver distracted in this fashion will often miss other cars, bikes, and pedestrians with predictably bad consequences.
The new features most often used and considered most likely to cause a car accident? Voice to text systems and voice-activated web search tools.
If you own a car with voice-recognition technology – beware. Use the new technology with great care (if at all) and redouble your effort to stay focused on the road in front of you, behind you, and peripherally. And if you know someone who just purchased this technology – warn them of the dangers.
RisCassi & Davis has handled hundreds of car accident cases over our more than 65 years serving the people of Connecticut.
What’s more, our attorneys have received local and national recognition for our handling of these cases including:
- Top listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms”
- Top listing by Martindale-Hubbell as a “New England Top Rated AV Preeminent® Law Firm.
- Admission of five of our personal injury lawyers as members in the very prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. The American College is a professional society of Fellows who become members only by invitation, with admission limited to experienced, outstanding trial lawyers who are unquestionably and eminently qualified as actively engaged trial lawyers. Only 1% of all trial lawyers in any state are offered admission as members to the College.
- Listing in New England Super Lawyers published by Connecticut Magazine. Less than 5% of attorneys in the New England states receive this honor
- Lifetime Achievement awards from the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Board Certification by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
We have a great team of Connecticut car accident lawyers. Our offices are in Hartford but we are available to meet with you in your home or office if that is easier for you. Please contact us if we can help you.
The consultation is free and there is no obligation of any kind.