The long holiday weekends of summer are some of the greatest days of the year. Sadly they also come with an increase in car accidents in Connecticut. What causes the spike?
What can you do to make sure you have a safe holiday?
Simple. Don’t drink and drive. And if you do drink – make sure you have a safe, sober driver for the ride home and identify that driver before the party begins. Why before?
Many people fail to fully appreciate the effects alcohol has on the brain. Just a little alcohol has a big effect:
- Lowers inhibitions
- Inhibits concentration
- Slows reflexes
- Slows reaction time
- Reduces coordination
- Slows brain activity
- Makes sensations and perceptions less clear
The minute you start to drink, your brain’s ability to make good decisions drops off as do your anxieties about the consequences of your actions. You quickly become less concerned about what might happen should you continue to drink and then drive. The sense that you need a sober driver to get you home dissipates. All too often, this sequence of events leads to intoxicated drivers on Connecticut roads – and to fatal and non-fatal, but life-altering, car accidents.
And remember this… if you are not driving during a holiday weekend but instead hosting a party – make sure you understand your liabilities should someone drink at your event, drive off and cause a car accident. If this happens – you could be civilly liable for any damages that driver causes.
If you are ever the victim of a car accident, call a qualified Connecticut car accident lawyer. A knowledgeable Connecticut car accident lawyer can help to ensure that your rights are protected.
RisCassi & Davis has handled hundreds of car accident cases over our more than 65 years serving the people of Connecticut.
What’s more, our attorneys have received local and national recognition for our handling of these cases including:
- Top listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms”
- Top listing by Martindale-Hubbell as a “New England Top Rated AV Preeminent® Law Firm.
- Admission of five of our personal injury lawyers as members in the very prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. The American College is a professional society of Fellows who become members only by invitation, with admission limited to experienced, outstanding trial lawyers who are unquestionably and eminently qualified as actively engaged trial lawyers. Only 1% of all trial lawyers in any state are offered admission as members to the College.
- Listing in New England Super Lawyers published by Connecticut Magazine. Less than 5% of attorneys in the New England states receive this honor
- Lifetime Achievement awards from the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Board Certification by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
We have a great team of Connecticut car accident lawyers. Our offices are in Hartford but we are available to meet with you in your home or office if that is easier for you. Please contact us if we can help you.
The consultation is free and there is no obligation of any kind.