The most recent U.S. traffic data shows pedestrian fatalities due to motor vehicle crashes rose 4.2%. In addition, pedestrian injuries caused by motor vehicle crashes increased by 19% from the previous year – all this according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Sadly – U.S. roads were designed with cars in mind – not pedestrians.
So how can we significantly reduce the incidence of pedestrian injuries? Perhaps emerging technology offers part of the answer.
- A company called Mobileye makes a system that helps drivers avoid accidents. Their products warn drivers of impending danger, as when pedestrians, bicyclists, and other cars are dangerously close. The technology works using cameras and smartphones to signal drivers in time to avoid such hazards.
- Some companies are now making pedestrian switch pads for intersections. These switch pads act just as switch pads do for automobiles. They sense the weight of a pedestrian or cyclist in a crosswalk and signal that traffic light to change.
- Kapten Plus is another product on the market – this one designed for blind or visually impaired consumers. This voice-controlled GPS helps visually impaired pedestrians get directions, locate intersections, and more.
- Belgium-based Traficon manufactures a number of new traffic technologies, including cameras able to detect the presence of pedestrians and when detected – control traffic lights. These systems have several benefits including allowing pedestrians to cross roadways with the protection of traffic lights, while also allowing car traffic to flow continuously when no pedestrians are in the area.
When all is said and done, the best safety option is driver awareness. Drivers need to stay alert at all times, avoid distractions, and travel at safe speeds.
If you are ever injured while walking or riding your bike on Connecticut roads, call a qualified Connecticut personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable Connecticut personal injury lawyer can help to ensure that your rights are protected.
RisCassi & Davis has handled hundreds of pedestrian injury cases over our more than 65 years serving the people of Connecticut.
What’s more, our attorneys have received local and national recognition for our handling of these cases including:
- Top listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms”
- Top listing by Martindale-Hubbell as a “New England Top Rated AV Preeminent® Law Firm.
- Admission of five of our personal injury lawyers as members in the very prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. The American College is a professional society of Fellows who become members only by invitation, with admission limited to experienced, outstanding trial lawyers who are unquestionably and eminently qualified as actively engaged trial lawyers. Only 1% of all trial lawyers in any state are offered admission as members to the College.
- Listing in New England Super Lawyers published by Connecticut Magazine. Less than 5% of attorneys in the New England states receive this honor
- Lifetime Achievement awards from the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Board Certification by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
We have a great team dedicated to pedestrian accident cases. Please contact us if we can help you.
The consultation is free and there is no obligation of any kind.