As the largest retailer in the world with over 3,000 stores and more than 100 million customers per week, Wal-Mart experiences approximately 1,000 customer injuries per day* due to people slipping on water or merchandise spilled on the floor or to being hit by falling merchandise. And they are not alone.
Property liability is something everyone needs to know about. Whether you own or just occupy a property – residential or commercial, it is crucial that you realize you are responsible for keeping that property in a safe condition and for warning visitors of known hazards.
What can you do to keep your property safe?
Six Steps To Keep Your Property Safe:
1. Guests can visit at all hours of the day or night. Walk your property carefully after dark to see how well your outside lighting illuminates your driveway and walkways. If there are areas poorly illuminated – remedy that situation with additional lighting.
2. Always inspect your walkways for irregularities like bumps, cracks, loose stone, icy patches and other physical hazards. You have a duty to fix those hazards as well as warn visitors of the danger while they are under repair. If you have stairs with railings, make sure those railings are strong enough to bear the weight of a large individual.
3. Always make sure that spills are cleaned up immediately. Fluid and solid spills can turn floor space into an ice like surface, causing slips and falls.
4. If you have children, make sure your walkways and floors are clear of all toys that might be a tripping hazard.
5. If you own a dog, make sure your animal is not a biting risk and does not jump on guests, knocking them to the ground.
6. Snow and ice is always a hazard. Connecticut premises liability law makes it clear that there is no obligation to remove snow and ice during a storm. However, clean-up must begin a reasonable time after the storm ends.
If you or a loved one are ever injured due to the negligence of a property owner, it is important to gather all the information you can and then call a qualified Connecticut personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable personal injury lawyer can help to ensure that your rights are protected.
RisCassi & Davis has handled thousands of injury cases in Connecticut over our more than 55 years serving the people of this state. Our attorneys have received significant local and national recognition for our handling of injury cases including:
- Four RisCassi and Davis attorneys in the last five years have been honored by being named Best Lawyers – Hartford Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs “Lawyer of the Year”
- Top listing by Martindale-Hubbell as a “New England Top Rated AV Preeminent® Law Firm, and much more… (for more on our honors and awards, click here).
If you would like a free consultation with one of our Connecticut personal injury lawyers, please contact us today. There is no obligation of any kind.